Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What I've Learned So Far...Part 7

So...as the other post is now so far down on my list of posts that it almost no longer shows up on my screen (when I hit "edit posts" and have it set to show me the most recent 50 created posts), I think it is time to continue the list elsewhere...

I'll add to this when I learn something else...

290. I know I've already mentioned that floors of buildings are numbered from 0 on up...well...what I haven't mentioned is that when there's a basement or LL, they might number it -1 or -2.  How random!

Spanish Word of the Day: piso/planta = floor (of a building) :)

291. This was something that I experienced ages ago but never thought to put here until my friend brought it up...the light switches are often outside the doors...especially true of bathrooms.

Spanish Word of the Day: luz = light :)

292. It seems every time I hear a Spanish cell phone ring (and not just among my friends), it has one of 2 ringtones.  I wonder if they just all pick the same 2 or if there is no option...
293. In Portugal, you board and disembark from a flight on the tarmac.
294. Both Portuguese and Italian languages are fairly understandable (when written, at least) because the words are similar to Spanish or English.  I cannot understand a word of Portuguese when spoke, but can catch a bit of Italian.
295. Asking for pepperoni pizza in Italy means you get a veggie pizza...good thing the waiter spoke English and told me this before I ordered that.  I tried "spicy salami" but that wasn't traditional pepperoni either...drat!
296.  Traveling alone even when in a foreign country where you do not speak the language is not as difficult as it sounds as long as you have a map and patience.
297. Plaza de Espana in Sevilla is not a plaza of the typical sort with places to eat and shop and whatnot.


298. Italy is expensive!  A train that goes slower than the metro cost me 14 euros...as opposed to 1.50 euros in Madrid.
299. Ciao means both hello and goodbye.
300.  Italian is a very sing-song language.
301.  In hotels here in Europe, you sometimes have to drop your room key off at the desk before leaving and pick it up when you return.
302. Even Italy has Chinos...but not nearly as good as the ones in Madrid.
303. All of Europe must be scarf-obsessed...I see them everywhere...in every country.  I thought it might have only been Madrid rastro...but it's also El Escorial, Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Lisbon, and Rome.
304.  Seeing a rooster painted on something is a regular occurrence in Lisbon (like on souvenirs, etc.).  Must be a symbol...but haven't figured out what it represents.
305.  It is actually possible to get a peacock to eat from your hand.


306. Those really cool tops that have a rope around them and you have to pull it and fling them...yeah bought one for a neighbor's son and tried it out the other day...harder than it looks to use.
307. In hotels, it often costs to use the Internet.

Spanish Word of the Day: Roma = bufanda = scarf :)




Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish Word of the Day: lista = list, aprendizaje = learning :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were thinking about you all weekend.