With all the ups and downs of last night still on my mind, I had been in a weird mood all day. I went to tutor as usual...I had G today. Hadn't seen him in a bit as last week he was at an intensive course in English.
Well...I don't know who I tutored today...but whoever it was, he was a "sabelotodo" (know -it-all)...and in a good way! I've wondered if G has trouble learning based on what he and mom tell me about his grades and just on little things...like how he forgot to wear his glasses (which he wears basically all the time) to school one day. I know he's intelligent, but academic tasks do not show it.
Today we were working on time, days of the week, and subjects in school (reviewing for a test he has to retake next week because he got a D). Oh my gosh...I was sooooooo impressed with him today! He was on fire, remembering to look for the verb to figure out how to start the answer to a question (instead of always putting "It's") and without my prompting too! And I gave him clocks as usual (I draw them on a piece of paper and either write out the hour and have him put the hands or put draw the hands and ask him to write out the hour). Usually he gets at least half of them wrong, but today...out of 18 clocks, he only got 2 wrong the first time around (and one was only a little mistake...like putting one past ten instead of ten past one)!!!!!! Holy smokes!!!!!
I was so excited! I told him I was very proud of him and wrote a note to mom telling her that we studied hard and that I was super proud of him and that I thought that English class helped a lot. I included the sheets we had used! And of course I told him I was going to tell mom how well he did! I was glad to have a reason to do that...I know his parents do not get notes like that from his teachers often (if ever) and he does not get much praise for academics...so I hope they are making a big deal out of this! And I hope the score he gets on his exam re-take next week shows the improvement that I see!
I've been bragging about him all night...to my roommates, and my host mom, and on here! I am just so excited...even though I know it was nothing I did that made this change in him...still, as a future teacher, just seeing that light-bulb moment is a beautiful thing!
Peace and Blessings,
Melanie
Spanish Word of the Day: orgullosa = proud :)
No comments:
Post a Comment