Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"Katie, can we live here?"...Granada, Part 3

On our last day in Granada, my first order of business was to take a taxi to and from Mass, while Katie worked on homework.  Then we had been hoping to visit the old moorish area of town.  So we asked at the front desk where it was and in what part of said area we should go...only to be told we were already there in Albayzin.  So we asked about the views of Granada my book mentioned and were told there was a tip-based walking tour of the area about to begin.  So we figured why not and joined the group.

The tour was great!  It was led by this super sweet guide who was about Jennie's size (aka fun sized!), and she told us loads about the history of the area and of Spain in general (most of it I knew from my courses, but if was neat to hear her apply it to the area).  We walked up and down streets with our guide pointing out houses and talking about the old moorish culture.  She led us to a great look-out point where we could see the whole city and Granada...so cool!  Then we tipped her and headed off.  Katie and I decided to get some lunch and then go up to Samonte (up on the mountain to see the gypsy caves and the hippie caves and nice views).



As we headed back to the plaza for lunch, we met up with others on our tour who said they were going to get lunch too and did we want to join.  Of course we said yes and ended up talking with a very nice group...Ollie, a funny guy from Wales, Laura, a doctor from Holland, and a really nice Japanese guy whose name I cannot remember.  After consuming my tortilla espanola, Katie and I decided to head up the mountain...and Laura and Ollie had been planning to go there too, so we joined up and started the trek.  Boy...was that a trek!  But it was okay because we stopped frequently to take photos (including jumping pictures)

And the caves dug into the mountain were interesting and the view at the top was worth it.  There was a church on top and behind it, we had a beautiful view of the mountains.  And in front of the church, more at the edge of the huge mountain/hill we had climbed, was a ledge on which we could sit and look out over the whole city and at Granada....BEST.  VIEW. YET.  I swear...never have I seen a more beautiful view.  We were discussing how it would be the perfect proposal spot if you cane there with a bottle of wine at sunset...only problem is...don't have a boyfriend yet and am in no hurry to find one.

So many times over the course of this semester so far, I have asked Katie, "Can we live here...like right here?"  Like every time I say it now, it's almost a joke.  But every time I mean it...but I nave never meant it more than I did when we were sitting there with that view in front of us.  And Katie began saying it back.  We seriously considered skipping classes the next day and staying one more night...but I had a paper due that I had not written and we both had to tutor :(  so we kept our plans.

After walking down with Ollie and Laura (who interestingly enough had only met a few days before in Malaga but seemed like they had known each other forever and Katie and I really really wanted them to date), we stopped at a couple souvenir shops, got ice cream, picked up our stuff, and taxied to the bus station.

On our way home, we shared a set of headphones and listened and sang (aka practically mouthing the words because we were on a bus) to random songs and laughed loads.  We got off at the wrong station in Madrid...the one that was further away...which was fine...it just meant more or a metro ride home.  So I didn't get home til after 12:30 am...and had to get up early to write a paper the next morning...yikes!

All in all, best trip yet!!!

Photos coming soon!

Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish Words of the Day:  novios = boyfriend/girlfriend, subir = climb, guide = guia :)

No comments: