Thursday, December 1, 2011

Another Dream Coming True...Thanks Grandma!

So... (Happy Thanksgiving to me!), on Thanksgiving Day, I found out that another long-time dream of mine is about to come true...I'm going to Rome!!!!!  All of the holy sites important to Catholicism that I always promised myself I would someday visit...well someday is going to come a whole lot sooner than anticipated.

Let me explain.  I was (for quite a while) looking for a travel companion to go somewhere - anywhere.  When it became clear to me that I probably was not going to find someone who could/would travel with me, I frantically began Googling travel agencies, attempting to find some way to take advantage of being in Europe.  I finally decided to ask the Office of Student Life at the university if they knew of a good agency...and they did!

Unfortunately, when I went to talk with the agency, I was not expecting prices to be quite so high...don't get me wrong, they were not unreasonable.  I just needed a reality check.  After talking with my mother about how I wanted to make this trip and then thinking for some time about the money situation and how I really did not have enough money to spend over $1,000 on 1 trip, even to Rome, I decided I probably would not be traveling after all.



But then Mom talked with my aunt...and when I talked to her again, she had a surprise for me.  As we lost my grandmother last September, there is some money to be divided among the family (not much - Grandma was close to outliving her money).  It had already been decided that the grandchildren (my cousin and myself) would get a portion of whatever money was available.  Of course, I had not thought of this...I thought to ask for sentimental things like Grandma's miraculous medal that she always wore, but did not even consider the fact that there would be money, nor that I might receive a cent.

My mom and aunt conspired and gave me enough money to make the trip, and I was told to consider it a present from Grandma!  How fitting - anywhere with important religious sites like Rome would have been somewhere she would have loved!

I am so excited to make this dream come true and am thankful for the chance to make such a pilgrimage in Grandma's memory.

Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish Word of the Day: perigrinacion = pilgrimage :)

2 comments:

Mom said...

Grandma, and Grandpa too, would have been only too happy that they could help you make this dream come true. Say a prayer for them when you are there. In that way, they will be there with you.

Melanie said...

I sure hope so! Hope I can light a candle in St. Peter's Basilica...or maybe I'll say a rosary on my way up the holy steps