During our weekend in Sevilla and Cordoba, Amy and I had several deep discussions...about immigration, about sexual orientation and gay rights, about politics in general, about cultural differences, and about being away. We tend to agree on a lot of points and had fun respectfully disputing those on which we did not see eye to eye.
One thing she said in regards to being away really struck me and I wanted to share it with you: "I've come to the conclusion that your level of homesickness does not depend on how long you are away or on where you are but on how content you are in the new place."
What a deep quote for being just said on the spot! It really hit me...because as content as I am at Rockhurst, I still get homesick, though only for a bit. And I think it was natural freshman year because it was my first time away. But here, the city of my wildest dreams, I did not get homesick at all. There were only 4 times all semester when I wished I was home: when my grandma passed away and I longed to be with my family, when I had the flu and wanted my own bed and my own mother to take care of me, when I had a horrible cold and again wanted to be taken care of (this time I was in Rome without my roommates or host mom), and when I missed my flights from Rome to Madrid and did not know what to do because I was alone and afraid.
I've been wondering all semester about my lack of homesickness...and maybe the fact that this is my dream and is unfolding even better than I could have imagined is making me content enough to forget how much I miss home. Don't get me wrong - I still do miss home, but most of all I just miss my family and friends there...not so much my house or the U.S. in general. Wow, what an idea!
I hope the same thing happens to me in Argentina.
Peace and Blessings,
Melanie
Spanish Word of the Day: hogar = home :)
No comments:
Post a Comment