Monday, September 5, 2011

What I've Learned so Far...Part 2

Now that I am up to 51 things I have learned so far in Spain, I figured it was time to continue my list in a new post.  Here's to learning 50 more new things :)

52. Many stores here close around lunch time and during the traditional siesta, which is quite annoying, really.
53. Text messages cost a fair amount here, even for the natives who have longer and cheaper phone plans.

Spanish Words of the day: tienda = shop/store, cerrado = closed, movil = cell phone :)


54. Doorknobs here are in the middle of the door and really have no function other than as something to push when you open the door and pull when you close it.  The locks here are not in the doorknobs and the knobs really don´t turn.
55. It is perfectly normal to see someone riding (or parking)  a motorcycle in the middle of a plaza or sidewalk.



56. They actually have street cleaners here!  Something I've almost never seen back home.
57. Spaniards are more cautious about their bags and purses, and it is not uncommon to see someone with a hand on their bag on the metro ride, but this does not apply to everyone.
58. Many Spaniards here jay walk...but at the crosswalks.  They wait until they don´t see any cars coming and then cross the street, even when the walk sign is not on.  Others religiously obey the walk sign, waiting for a couple minutes for it to come on before crossing the street.
59. Cross walks here at 4-way intersections are only on one side of the street.  So often you have to cross one way and then the other to get where you need to be.
60. The vosotros person is used loads here, but you rarely hear the Usted form used at all.
61. Spaniards walk loads here - even when they use the metro for most trips because they have to walk to and from the stops.  This includes young children and the elderly.

Spanish Words of the Day:  puerta = door, bolso = bag, limpieza = cleaning, motocicleta = motorcycle, caminar = to walk, cruzar = to cross (e.g., the street) :)

62. Crosswalks are on one side of the street, but also they are not always on the same side of the street.  So if I am on the right side of the street and want to cross going straight,  I might have to cross over the the left side to do so.  Then I will have to do the reverse at the next intersection, making a complete zigzag pattern.
63. Spaniards here answer the phone by saying "dime" (Tell me), rather than the traditional Spanish "bueno."
64. Pigeons...enough said.
65. The outside doors to apartments here are barred and there are actually call buttons to buzz the residents in order to be let in.  Much like what I saw in San Francisco.
66. The elevators here (well the one in my apartment building) has an outer door that you open and an inner door that opens automatically.
67. When you enter a building, you are always on the ground floor and have to climb up one level in order to be on the first floor.
68. Having carpeting at home is rare here.  Floors are mainly tile.
69. Spaniards here can recycle almost anything - yes, the traditional aluminum, plastic, and glass, but also other types of containers like those from yogurt or butter and even cardboard. Although I have been in places where everything is recycled and places where I cannot find a recycling bin anywhere.
70. Here when you use the metro, you can change trains as many times as necessary, but as long as you do not leave the station, you will only use up one trip on your pass.
71. Many things are cheaper here...for example, my friends have found boxed wine for less than 1 euro per box...granted, it was not good wine by any means.
72. Military time format is often used here.
73. Streets are not labeled with traditional street signs...instead there are signs indicating the names of the streets posted on buildings at each corner.



74. Lunch is supposedly the big meal of the day, according to what I had always heard...but for me, dinner has been the big meal because my host senora cooks well.
75. Meals are eaten later here.  Breakfast is at the usual time, but lunch is not usually until 2-4pm and dinner is usually around 8 or later.
76. Land line phone numbers always begin with a 2 digit area code 91 and then have the usual 7 numbers.  Cell phones begin with a three digit area code which always starts with 6 and then only have six additional numbers.
77. Appliances are much smaller here.



78. Dryers are not used here...they have clotheslines or racks where they can hang their clothes inside.



79. Flights to other places in Europe are super cheap when flying out of Spain, and often bus rides or planes to other places in Spain are even cheaper.  I think one of my friends found a one-way ticket somewhere for less than 20 euros for a plane ride.
80. The traditional siesta is dying out here, though businesses are often closed during that time anyway.  Not many people actually nap.  But that doesn't stop my roommates and I from taking the occasional snooze.
81. Classes here tend to begin and end later - even after 7 or 8pm...and these are not considered night classes.
82. Bringing your dog along is always an option here, but you cannot bring him into a public place.  You must sit outside.  However, people here still seem to walk their dogs much more than Americans do.  Guess we're a lazy bunch.
83. Stores called Tabacos (because they mainly sell tobacco) are actually pretty useful.  I have been in them several times...because they also do abonos.  I promise I do not smoke.
84. Most classes have either almost no homework or a ton.  I haven't heard yet of anyone with a class that has a medium amount of work.
85. Windows here open inward...not upward.  And they actually open enough to let some air in.
86.  Balconies are common...almost every apartment building has them.
87. Toilets here do not have the traditional "flusher."  They are flushed either by pushing a button on top of the tank or pulling a lever on top of the tank up.  So much for putting those bathroom readers on top of the tank!
88. Computer keyboards here (or at least at the university) are in Spanish...it's weird.  It's still the QWERTY keyboard, but all the symbols and other buttons are different sizes and in different places.



I think I'll stop there for now.  Once I got started, I kept thinking of more things that I haven't yet mentioned.

Spanish Words of the Day:  ventana = window, suelo = floor (as in the floor), piso = floor (as in teh level of a building), tarea = homework, clase = class, perro = dog, calle = street, reciclar = to recycle, acensor = elevator :)

89. Spaniards use the metric system here...everything is in kilometers instead of miles.
90. The bull is a national and cultural symbol of Spain and you can see metal bulls by the main roads across teh country (see explanation in my post about Salamanca).



91. Advertising was banned on main roads - that's why I haven't encountered many billboards.
92.  Speed limit signs are interesting here, mainly because of the numbers.  I assume they are in kilometers per hour, but I still was confused when I saw numbers as high as 120!!



Spanish Words of the Day:  carretera = highway, kilometros = kilometers :)

93. Spaniards are really proud of the historical and artistic wonders they have here.  They take great care to preserve them well.
94. There are ATMs everywhere, but you will only see them when you are not looking for one.  So it is not necessary to spend a metro pass just to get to the ATM.
95. All cathedrals look relatively the same, but some are more grandiose than others.  All are still worth seeing.



96. Ice here is not common - I don't think you have to pay extra for it, but it isn't usually given.
97. When you ask for water at a restaurant, instead of giving you regular tap water for free, they bring out a small bottle of water and a cup to pour it in and charge you a little over 1 euro for it.  *EDIT:  I just learned today that you can get free tap water at restaurants, but you have to ask for it specifically.  In the US, it would be automatic and you would have to ask specifically for a bottle of water, but here it's the opposite.  I am glad to have learned that trick.  No sense paying for water when I can get it free :)
98. With Spain's climate, it is very hard to keep grass looking nice and green.  Therefore, there are often signs telling people not to walk on the grass.  Based on the photo below, you can probably guess what I thought it said the first time I saw such a sign...


99. Spaniards do not tend to wear sweatpants or soccer shorts.  They dress up more here, at least in jeans.  And tennis shoes are also a bit uncommon.
100.  Although Spaniards do not wear what we Americans would consider "lounge pants," they have their own version.  I don't know if this style of pant/shorts has a name, but the only thing I can title it that might describe it is gypsy pants.  Like the pants are made of nylon or maybe polyester and when you wear them at the waste (like a normal person), the crotch hangs down almost to your knees.  They are very baggy in other areas too, except at the bottom, where there is a more fitted cuff.  I am undecided as to whether or not I like the way they look on people, but I sort of want a pair because they look comfortable!  Strange!!!



Here are a couple photos of said pants:  In the first one, I am wearing them - I tried them on at El Rastro for grins and giggles.  In the second picture, you can see a pair hanging up.  I really want a picture of someone wearing them, but it's kinda really awkward to take a picture of some stranger's pants...so I might not manage that one...don't want to be a total creeper!



Peace and Blessings,
Melanie
Spanish Word of the Day:  catedral = cathedral, agua - water, pantalones - pants :)

6 comments:

Mom said...

Any bets on what number of new things you will have learned by the end of the trip?

Melanie said...

Would you like to make a bet?

Mom said...

Hmmmm. The number of new things will decrease the longer you are there. You have learned over 50 things in the first couple of weeks. You have quite a bit of time left....How about 200? Now, what shall we bet?

Melanie said...

If you say 200, I'll say 225 :)

Mom said...

You forgot to suggest what we should bet. How about the loser buys the winner a lottery ticket?

Melanie said...

Sounds good to me! I really wanted to "like" that comment, but then I realized that this is not Facebook. Oops!