Monday, September 5, 2011

Monasterio de Piedra

Hello Everyone...sorry I have been horrible about posting this week!  Sooo busy and tired!

So after my night out, I got up early on my birthday for one of the university day trips.  We traveled 2 1/2 hours by bus (well I napped) to Monasterio de Piedra (a monkery/monastery) where wine and chocolate are made.  The trip began with a monastery tour...which was nice, many mannequins representing the monks, tools showing where/how the wine and chocolate was made (the chocolate made here was the first in Spain), pretty architecture, etc.  But the whole time I was thinking, "I paid 40 euros for this?  This is not close to as cool as El Escorial, which was a free trip."

After the tour, we went to a bird show - you know, the kind they do at the zoo with falcons and eagles and owls and such.  Interesting, but I still was not super impressed with the trip as a whole at this point.  Next was a break for lunch and a chance to visit the little tienda (shop).

Once we all met up again, it was time to begin the nature hike.  I was looking forward to this part of the trip, but after the disappointing morning was not expecting too much.  Once the hike started and I saw the first of many waterfalls, my disappointment turned to absolute delight and amusement!  The area where we were hiking was full of waterfalls, beautiful nature, and caves...gorgeous!!!!!!!  I remember standing next to Lago de Espejo (Lake of the mirror) and saying aloud, "I want to live here.  Not in Spain, not in the monastery, but right here where I am standing."  I swear the nature and waterfalls I saw were like pictures out of a travel guide...only I saw the real thing!  Such beauty!  I really cannot say much more that would come close to describing this part of the trip, so I will not even try.  I will let the following photos speak for themselves.


The nature hike made the trip!  I could not have asked for anything more beautiful on my birthday!  Overall, despite the monastery tour which was meh...the trip was a major success!  I loved it and did not want to leave!

After the trip ended, we headed home.  I got a bit more sleep on the bus, went out to dinner with my friends, and chatted with my mother on skype.  All in all a wonderful birthday.

The monastery...pretty, but El Escorial was more impressive.


 At one point, they destroyed all of the icons...I cannot remember why...


 Outdoor chapel...but I don't remember if it was originally outdoors...

 Where the first chocolate in Spain was made


 The monks made wine too

 Nature walk :)

























 mirror lake

 this is all a reflection




 this is all reflection too


















 beautiful buho...owl!



Big purchase of the day?  A brand-name Chupa Chup!  Miss Paula would be so proud :)

Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish Words of the Day:  cascada = waterfall, cueva = cave, espejo = mirror, chocolate = chocolate, vino = wine, ave = bird :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh, my gosh! As you took that nature walk, each turn must have been more beautiful than the one before. What an awesome place.
But I have to wonder....what does it look like in the frigid weather? Frozen falls would also be an awesome sight to see.
As for the monks...they didn't leave any of that chocolate hanging around, did they? he he he