Monday, September 12, 2011

Snail Mail...a Natural High!

Greetings from Spain!

Today was just an average day...2 classes, trip planning, etc.  My focus other than the usual routine was on mail today.  I have been working on getting a few packages and postcards together for family and friends back home.

So...I realized I wanted a couple more little things to put in said packages and I ran out of postcards...which meant a trip to the centro, El Sol.  Yeah...that was interesting.  First, I got off the metro through the store El Corte Ingles...and tried to buy a few things and then didn't know where to pay for them and an employee had to tell me (there are like 6 types of stores in this one store and there were sooo many cash registers, I just kind of wandered around like a lost puppy...embarrassing!).  Then I got lost in the store trying to find an exit.

Then I wandered around El Sol trying to find Plaza Mayor...almost got lost a couple of times, but with a map in hand (that I was  smart enough to bring along), I found my way eventually.  Once I arrived in Plaza Mayor, I walked all around the plaza, stopping in various souvenir stores and looking mainly for postcards, among other things.  It took me a while to find postcards at a price I was willing to pay.  So once I found them, I bought a ton, figuring they would last me a while.  Yeah...that was an incorrect assumption.  After I write and mail out all of the postcards on my list (some separately and some in packages), I will not have any left...which is saying something because that means between the postcards I had already and those I purchased today, I am sending out about 30 postcards!  Yikes!  Glad they are cheap and most can be sent in packages to reduce mailing costs!


Finally I wandered back to Puerta del Sol and walked around a bit more before heading home on the metro.  I arrived at home to find...mail for me!!!!  (How ironic!)  Received a belated birthday card from Suzie and a long letter from Cathy!  Thanks to you both!  The mail totally made my day!  I feel so loved!

Other than that, not too much to say here.  Dinner soon and then a bit of studying, more postcard-writing, etc. before bed.  Then classes tomorrow.  Such is life...but I am appreciating every minute here :)

Tonight, I am more thankful than ever that I chose to attend my home university.  Two of my roommates along with another friend are being screwed by their home university & by the institution here in various ways and it's not their fault.  I feel bad for them!  It's a sticky situation.

Peace and Blessings,
Melanie
Spanish Words of the Day:  correo = mail, carta = letter, postales = postcards, enviar = to send (as in to send mail) :)

No comments: