Today was the first day of classes at the University...and I was a bit tentative going in because I was nervous about whether or not I would understand what was going on when it was all taught in Spanish.
After getting to school and finding the correct classroom, I sat down to wait for my Phonetics class to begin. Although I was sure this class would be the one to kick my butt this semester, I really shouldn't have been worried. I love my teacher, have understood everything so far, and the class sounds interesting. I am told it is mainly a pronunciation class, which is what I had originally hoped for.
Our professor today tested our listening and speaking skills with an ungraded quiz. First, she read a few difficult sentences in a normal Spanish rhythm and asked us to write down what we thought she said. Then, she had us come in one by one to read a few sentences aloud in Spanish and she recorded us to analyze our pronunciation. She told us not to be shy because it would be to our detriment and promised us that she would not share recordings with anyone or allow anyone to laugh at us as we attempted to pronounce a difficult word.
After class, a friend of mine showed me where the local papeleria near campus is located so that I could purchase supplies. I bought a notebook (I found one that is lined instead of graph paper!), a couple pens, a couple pencils, a highlighter, a notebook type thing with pockets for papers, and a pack of index cards. I am hoping these supplies will last me the semester.
After eating the lunch I packed, I was also able to purchase my books...I was planning to wait until after I had been to all my classes once (because you do not need books for the first classes here), but I found out I could get one book used for $12 less than the price for a new book. When I asked the bookstore employee how many used copies they had left, she brought out the only one, which I then decided to purchase immediately along with the books for my other classes. Most of my books are like compiled course texts comprised of photocopies...and then I have one hardcover book and one class where the book list only states that I need to see my professor. Still, the books for my 3 classes only cost me 56 euros (about $85), which I was super excited about! What a cheap semester, textbook-wise!
Soon enough, it was time to head to my next class. Again, we went over names, etc. Then my professor began lecturing, referring to a powerpoint and a map on an overhead projector. Let's just say that this class is going to be more difficult...my professor uses loads of abbreviations and takes notes in bullet points, with places and other proper names all listed in the same line with no explanation (except the oral one). However, he goes so fast that I would often miss the oral explanation and barely finish copying the notes (and it was not like there were tons on each slide either). And it was all in Spanish. I was a bit discouraged afterwards. I was really looking forward to this class (Spanish Culture and Civilization), but now it seems rather impossible.
I was cheered up later when after a stop at the supermercado for something a friend needed and a nap, I received a phone call from Paula. (P.S. I have a cell phone now and it is functional!!!). Paula asked me about the last few days and I told her how things have been going. Then I mentioned the class I am having trouble with already. When I had last talked to her, she had asked the names of my professors...but when I looked at the syllabi online, this particular course showed a different teacher than the one I actually have. When I mentioned this and told her my real professor's name, she became instantly excited. Apparently she took one of his classes years ago and absolutely loved him as a professor. She told me not to worry - it will take a while for me to understand and he will probably begin giving out copies of the powerpoints as he did back when she had him. Paula's encouragement significantly lifted my spirits.
After chatting with Paula, I chilled out until dinner (Paella made with chicken and veggies...pretty good actually!). Since then, I have been uploading photos and hanging out with my roommates. They have decided to take me out somewhere to try a few drinks for my birthday this weekend even though the day trip we will be on will not end until pretty late already. Such sweet girls! I am actually kind of looking forward to this even though going out is not usually my thing.
I'll probably go to bed soon...it's pretty late here and I have 2 more classes tomorrow before it's officially the weekend (no classes on Fridays normally but since it's a short week, we have Wednesday classes tomorrow).
Peace and Blessings,
Melanie
Spanish Words of the Day: escuela = school, clase = class :)
2 comments:
Melanie, I've been following your blog since you sent the link out and I must say, I'm impressed with the frequency in which you write! It's nice getting an update a few times a week. I'm sure your mom appreciates that even more than I do. (:
Anyway, I didn't think I'd get a chance to comment tomorrow, so I wanted to wish you a happy birthday today. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself over there! Happy birthday!
Chris Unterreiner
Thanks Chris! Once things start slowing down, I'll probably update mainly when something exciting happens, but right now everything is happening at once! Hence all the updates! Which is good for my readers and good for me when I want to look back on these times. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! I know I'll have a great day!!!
Post a Comment