So today was the last day trip...I have to say that I will miss these trips, as exhausting as they were and as structured as they were, they were already planned and included a tour guide! What a great deal. Too bad this is the end of it :(
Today we went to Segovia, which is also an older city, but has a very different feel than Salamanca or Toledo. It is a very medieval-ish city! You cannot help but fall in love with it!!! The first thing we saw when we arrived was the famous Roman aqueduct, which stretches for miles through the city, both above ground and under the city! It is considered one of the 7 wonders of Spain (yes, I did look those up!). I have to say, it is enchanting! Beautiful, huge and humbling, an amazing feat of civil engineering because it was built all of stone without the use of mortar, and a major historical monument! I was disappointed when we only spent a few minutes talking about it...I could have stood there all day and just stared at it!!!
Next was the walking tour. We walked up and down many city streets before we came to the alcazar - the castle.fortress! I cannot even describe how majestic it was! Walt Disney modeled his castle logo from this castle! And inside...wow!!! That's all I can say! Rooms full of suits of armor and family crests and tapestries and more! I am not even going to attempt to describe it in detail. My photos (coming soon) will have to speak for themselves.
Then it was time for lunch. We were free for 2 1/2 hours to walk about and eat. I hung out with a friend and a couple of other people I had just met. We sat on a bench and ate (those of us that had lunch packed) and talked with this really interesting man we met who was visiting and had a neat view of life.
Then our other friend stopped somewhere to eat and the rest of us shopped a bit before meeting up with her to visit the Cathedral. This cathedral only cost 3 euros to visit...and although at first it seemed just like the one in Toledo, I soon found that it was much more grandiose and enchanting! So many chapels, so many statues, so many decorations, etc. I think I took 300 pictures just inside the church! Gorgeous!! Again, look at the pictures, although they cannot do justice for what I saw today, they'll do better than I can with words.
Because the cathedral was so huge, we spent over an hour inside. Then I went off on my own to do a little more shopping and head for the aqueduct to walk around near there before it was time to leave. I happened to run into a friend from class along the way and she went up to the aqueduct with me. We climbed up to a nice viewpoint and saw the length of the aqueduct and got some neat photos of the city before it was time to head to the bus and leave for home.
After that, nothing much happened. Dinner, a bit of shopping, lots of going through photos, etc. Photos of my trip to come soon!
Bad news of the day: Didn't get the job I interviewed for the other day...she chose someone more experienced. So it's back to the drawing board for me. I will try one more time to get in touch with the first lady, and if that does not work out, I will just hope there's another good offer soon! Supposedly the majority of people request a tutor in September. Wish me luck!
Peace and Blessings,
Melanie
Spanish Word of the Day: vista = view, aqueducto = aqueduct, alcazar = fortress :)
No comments:
Post a Comment