Saturday, October 29, 2011

Segovia Continued...Fairytale Castle and Cathedral Photos

Here are some photos of the rest of my adventures in Segovia...

Fairy tale castle
Walt Disney modeled the castle in his logo after this one...

And the locals say that Snow White (the sleeping person in the mountain (see previous Segovia post) lives here in the Spring and summer...















Can you imagine going into battle wearing that much armor?  Wow!!

Check out the collar on this royal dude...


The ceilings here were gorgeous!

Throne room!



another ceiling shot


You could almost believe it's real...couldn't you?

The tapestries here were amazing!!



All of the walls in this room were completely covered in beautiful tapestries!




I want to say that these were religious people...like the apostles...but I'm not sure.  I could be remembering wrong...




check out that retablo!





The girls...Mary (roommate), Megan (friend), Katie (roommate), me, Michelle (lives downstairs)


I don't know how they make gardens in those patterns...it would be hard to see the patterns emerge when on the same level...reminds me of the fractal in The Shack by Wm. Paul Young (If you have not read this book, you need to!!!!)









guarding the door, so to speak...



They really like sundial clocks here...







Cathedral!

Every city has one...this one reminded me ot the one in Toledo but on steroids!










triptych



Even just the detailing on the gate amazes me!

Cathedrals...places with amazing ceilings.


I find this painting quite interesting...



many altars and retablos...seems these cathedrals have chapels all around the perimeter with a main altar in the center.


These type of sculptures are also common here...




Another teaching doorway!







love the open gates...feels like I'm being invited in!





I don't know what this was, but it was so pretty!

Even the cathedral has tapestries!


oh ceilings!












main altar









so adorned, grandiose, and elaborate!

cupula!









look closely at this cross... the detailing is amazing, but my attempts at closer photos did not work
















Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish Words of the Day:  adornos = adornments, cupula = dome :)

2 comments:

Mom said...

The web-like outside walls remind me of the building at Elephant Rock State Park that we saw.

Melanie said...

I hadn't thought of that...but so true! Quite similar!