Friday, October 14, 2011

Longest. Day. Ever.

As long as yesterday was, it was a surprisingly good day.

Got up, headed to school.  Did not understand much in Phonetics class (think I'm going to have to go talk to my teacher next week...and I'll definitely be doing the extra credit poster).  Prepared some more for my group presentation and ate lunch during my break.  Met the girls to practice.  Went to Culture and Civ. class, where we finished our movie and then gave our presentation.  It went pretty well.  Then had about an hour to chill after a skype date did not work out...probably for the better.  It was a nice break.

Before tutoring, I ran an errand and called someone to give details about another tutoring job.  Then went and picked up my student and was with him walking home and practicing English for an hour.  Headed home after that, where I managed to put everything away, change clothes, and have a 15-min break before dinner (soup and hamburgers - our first time having red meat here because our host mom is not a fan of it).  Had another short break before beginning my intercambio, and that did not end til 10 pm.  Yikes!  What a day.


I was really excited to begin my intercambio, as tired as I was.  I met with Maria (Sonia's cousin's girlfriend) in the plaza below me - she lives nearby.  And we went to a restaurant and got drinks - tea for her and peach juice (mmm!) for me. We talked in Spanish for half and hour and then in English for half an hour.  I love Maria - she is fun, laughs often, is easy to talk to, and makes sure to correct me so that I learn as much as possible from this.  Plus her English is cute!  She's a lot better than she thinks she is.  We had a blast and have decided to meet each week and begin talking about particular themes each day (because otherwise we run out of things to talk about).  So next week, we are meeting in the morning to talk about foods - what we like and don't like to eat, food vocabulary in both languages, and traditional foods eaten at each meal.

I was in a great mood after my intercambio.  And I had talked with my friend before leaving about possibly going out.  I am not usually a fan of going out because I do not like the party scene or the taste of alcohol.  But this was to be different - the dance classes at the university were taking an optional "field trip" of sorts to a salsa dancing club and could invite anyone they wanted.  My friend was meeting some people in the class and I tagged along.  Yeah...it was an interesting night.  I'll fill you in soon in another post.

Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish Words of the Day: largo = long, comida = food, intercambio = exchange, hablar = talk, presentación = presentation :)

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I finally caught up on reading the blog, Mel! You do so well keeping up with this--it's so impressive for how busy you are!

Anyways, I feel soo bad because we haven't had our skype date yet! I've been home since Tuesday night but totally went into "home mode" and haven't even been online really, and I totally forgot to check with you what time we were gonna talk. To top it all off, I lost my cell phone last night (somewhere in my house! But it's on silent so I have no idea where!!), aaannd facebook is blocked at my house right now (my dad has controls on the internet and must have blocked it last night, I think he does that sometimes with Jen and Robert needing to get hw done). Anyways, yeah, that's a fail. I am sure we will find a time to talk soon though. This coming week would even work for me I think! It won't be as crazy as these last few have been :)

Glad to hear you are doing well! I hope whatever you've been up to today was great!

Melanie said...

Hey chica!

It's hard to keep up with this, but I am trying hard for my future self as well as everyone wanting to keep up with me from home.

I don't blame you for being in "home mode." I would be too if I were you! I'm sorry having facebook blocked and not being able to find your phone have made communication difficult. (Tried to call you today...no wonder you didn't answer).

But seriously, we can talk whenever! We will find a way! I cannot wait to catch up with you, but don't need that much notice and will gladly make time any night!

Let me know when you are free...or just get on skype and if I'm on, I'll call you. Or I can call your phone when you find it.

I'm glad things will be less crazy for you next week. You need a week like that once in a while! I also hope you are totally relaxing and enjoying break!!! You deserve it!!!

As for me, today was pretty chill...after quite a night last night. I'll blog about it soon or if we talk I can tell you about it. But I am still loving every minute of my time here and wishing you were here to share in my adventures in person!

Miss and love you tons!
Melanie

Cathy said...

Thanks for understanding Melanie! I'm going to keep looking and will hopefully find it soon, lol. My family is going camping tonight! Woo! And yes, relaxing has been great. I'm glad to hear you're doing well. We will definitely talk soon--I'll let you know when I'm able to!
Miss and love you too!

Melanie said...

No problem Cathy! Enjoy camping - sounds like fun!! Let me know when you can talk and we will set something up. But in the meantime, keep looking for your cell phone and enjoy every minute of break with your family :)

Love ya!

Melanie