Monday, October 17, 2011

A Lovely Afternoon in Barrio de Las Letras

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday, I realized that I had a lot to do, so I got up early, showered and dressed, painted my nails, made some flashcards for the kiddos I tutor, etc. until about 11:30.  Then I headed off to mass at noon and came back just in time to change and head out.

I had plans to meet Paula for lunch at 2:30 and was not sure how crowded the metro would be due to the M-15 protests we've been having here.

(Side Note: Has anyone heard about the protests?  Apparently the one this weekend was related to the one in Madrid back in June or July, but this one had the biggest turnout.  Paula also tells me that Spain is kind of the leader in the European protests, modeling them after the uprisings in Egypt except that the ones in Madrid seem to be nonviolent.  Apparently the U.S. is following suit with the protest on Wall Street.  These protests are going on all over the world at the moment as people lament the state of the government and the economic crisis.  Here, the protests are also related to cuts in education in Madrid - teachers are not too happy.)

Anywho...getting back to the original story...lunch.  So I took the metro to a new stop and, map-in-hand, set off toward my destination.  When I got to the street the restaurant was on, I did not know which way to turn (I didn't use Google maps...just a regular old map).  So I just picked a direction figuring I'd look at the addresses and decide if I was going the correct way.  Well...I wasn't.  That was pretty obvious when I ran into Paula and Sonia walking the opposite way.  They were early too.


So after greetings, we walked around a bit so that I could see the nearby plaza and Barrio de Las Letras (I had no idea that's where I was until they mentioned it, though I had heard of it.  It's the area where many famous writers once lived and because of that, there are plaques denoting where famous people lived on the buildings and quotes from famous works of literature on the streets).  After walking around a bit and chatting, we headed to the restaurant - a cute little Italian place.  Paula and Sonia suggested I try the pizza (they had brought me there specifically because of the great pizza).

So when it came time to order, we decided to split an appetizer, a cheese pizza, and meat lasagna.  And I got Zumo de Melocoton (peach juice - I've been craving it for a while!).  The food was great - I wasn't a fan of the appetizer, but the pizza and lasagna were fabulous!

As we were eating, we caught up.  Paula and Sonia asked about my classes, my exams, my travels, my living arrangements, the intercambio, and my job.  And I asked about what they had been up to, Paula's studies, Sonia's T.V. show, etc.  They also told me the latest family news (since I have met Sonia's family). And I updated Paula on the latest news from home as well.  And when I told them about my night at the salsa club, they busted out laughing.

When we were finishing up, Paula commented that everything we had ordered was full of cheese and that she was cheesed out.  So she decided to order dessert for a change.  What did she accidentally ask for?  Yup...cheesecake!  Hahahahaha!  Sonia and I got a kick out of that one and even Paula had to laugh.

After dessert, we walked around a bit more and then said goodbye, as Paula and Sonia had other plans and I had studying to do.  We are hoping to meet up in less than 2 weeks to see a movie that comes out in a few days.

Since the area was so cute and quaint, I decided not to go straight home.  Instead, I walked back to the plaza, looked in a shop or two, walked the streets of Barrio de Las Letras for a while, and took some photos.  Then I walked home through Sol, as I was curious to see if the protests were still going on.  They weren't.  Many people were there and a few people had a table with information, but no shouts or signs.  I was actually kind of disappointed.

Here are some photos of the barrio:



 Yummy Italian restaurant :p





 Plaza de Santa Ana



 Sol...remnants of the protest




I finally arrived home around 6 pm and began studying.  I typed my Art History notes and worked on my New Testament study guide until dinner and then after dinner until bed and still did not feel prepared for my exams.

Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish Words of the Day: almuerzo = lunch, Italiano = Italian, restaurante = restaurant, barrio = area :)

3 comments:

Mom said...

I love the pictures of the buildings fascades. Most of them are so different (beautiful) from the bland things we would see downtown here. I only wish I knew Spanish so I could tell that kind of buildings they were.

Mom said...

I am happy so see that you have been able to keep up with Paula. BTW, what was the appetizer that you didn't like?

Melanie said...

I agree! We need to catch up to Spain architecturally. And I don't remember the name of the appetizer I was not a fan of...something fried with cheese...