So...it occurred to me to add both a clock counting the number of days I have been abroad and one counting down the days til I return home. But then I thought, "Why would I want to count down the days til I come home (until the last 2ish weeks)? I would be living my dream and looking forward to a time when it would be over."
That's when it came to me. When communicating with a friend in Costa Rica and asking for any advice, she simply told me, "Be sure to live in the moment and experience every day to the fullest while you are abroad!" I realize that much too often I find my mind wandering to a time in the future or the past, something I am looking forward to, something I am dreading, something I am dreaming about, something that occurred in the past, or something I have to remember to accomplish later...always thinking about the future or the past. What I need to learn is how to live in the present.
That brings me back to my countdown clock dilemma...I have decided to post the clock, not as a way to look toward the future, but instead as a slap in the face for me when I need to be reminded that I have a set number of days in Spain. I need to make the most of the time I have instead of thinking about the past or future. I need to live a little and take risks - because I will never get those moments and experiences back. I do not want to return from my journey with regrets about time wasted or things not experienced. I want to return with wonderful memories and a sense of accomplishment from all the times I jumped in despite my apprehension.
Peace and Blessings,
Melanie
Spanish Word of the Day: reloj = clock :)
No comments:
Post a Comment