Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Flights...My First Adventure!

So I went into the airport very nervous and sad to be saying goodbye to my mother and best friend.  When the time came to say goodbye and go through security, I remember Mom saying to me, "It's time to fly...in more ways than one."  I hugged them over and over again and then teared up as I joined the line for the security check.

Security was fast...no problems there.  But then as we were boarding my first flight to Philadelphia, I heard about a 5.9 (richter) earthquake that had apparently hit Richmond, Virginia.  Someone had received a telephone call from a family member about it and others who overheard began asking for details.  I soon learned that te quake was felt pretty far away.  As we sat on the plane for the few moments before take-off, I wondered about the conditions in Philadelphia...would our flight be cancelled?  Would we be able to land?  Would flights departing from the airport in Philadelphia be delayed or cancelled?  I decided to calm myself down and enjoyed the flight, mostly looking out the window and reading.

Apparently I really had nothing to be worried about, as there were no visible problems in Philadelphia (although I did later hear that the earthquake made a crack in the Washington Monument).  Philadelphia was, however, the place where my adventures would begin.  I spent my entire layover eating a quick snack and looking everywhere for a pencil to purchase (I had crossword puzzles and sudoku with me and wanted to complete these in pencil, and of course, I not so conveniently forgot to bring a pencil).  Well I never found a satisfactory pencil.

The layover passed quickly and soon they were boarding us.  So far, so good...until we were all settled in and 15 minutes passed.  We had not yet taken off.  More time passed, minutes feeling like hours when you know you have a 6+ hour flight ahead of you.  Eventually, the captain came over the intercom...only to tell us that something was wrong with the air conditioning valve and we had to taxi back to the gate for it to be fixed.  Well shoot!  Now we would be delayed....little did I know just how much delayed we would actually arrive.


After like 45 minutes, the captain came back over the intercom to tell us that all systems were go and we would depart momentarily.  Yay...until he came back on and said nevermind.  There was now something wrong with a computer and it had to be replaced...which meant more delays.  An hour later, we finally got the word we would be taking off soon...but then we were way in the back of the take-off line.

Long story short, we didn't take off until over 2 hours after our scheduled departure time and we arrived a little over 2 hours late.  That meant that by the time I arrived in Spain, I had been on that plane for 9 hours...whew! 

I have to say though that when the plane had at last gotten low enough for me to see the city out the window across the aisle, it made everything worth it.  A huge smile came to my face and I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning!  Just in awe...gazing in excitement and fascination at the country that will be my home away from home for the next 4 months.

After over 9 hours on the plane, we finally disembarked and made our way to customs.  I was nervous, but the process was easy and fairly quick.  Of course my adventures continued at the baggage claim.  I found the right conveyor belt and stood nearby to wait for my luggage.  The belt started moving...and then stopped several minutes later.  10 minutes passed...then 20...and by the time 30 minutes had passed, the crowd around the conveyor belt had thinned to just a few people.  I decided to walk up and down the aisle of conveyor belts to see if a different one was carrying our luggage...but found out nothing.  Finally, I saw a couple other passengers from my flight with their bags and ascertained from them which conveyor belt our luggage had been moved to.  I was able to retrieve my bags quickly and made my way outside to meet Miss Paula.

Details about my first day here to come in future posts...I've gotta end this somewhere haha.

Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish Word of the Day:  aventura = adventure :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Ah, yes. Flying is quite the adventure all by itself.