Friday, March 11, 2011

Fast Forward...the Planning Process

Like every journey, mine involves many preparations. I started out even during high school, choosing where I wanted to go (Spain) and took this into account when choosing which university to attend. From the beginning, I had an idea which institution I wanted to go through - and this program was a possibility at my university of choice. Soon after beginning college, I sat down with an adviser and arranged a schedule which would allow me to go abroad for an academic year and still graduate on time (completing my Secondary Education major in 3 years).

Now, the year before my studies comes the paperwork - applications galore to the institutions abroad, permissions and waivers for my home university, student visa papers, and class pre-approvals...yikes! I am still in the midst of this process, having completed most of the applications, but with the visa and pre-approval for courses paperwork still to go. After this is complete, there will still be confirmation paperwork for the programs, flight plans, and ultimately packing. Lots of work...but worthwhile for the experience I hope to have and the knowledge that I will be living my dream.


Like most journeys, mine has had its share of surprises. Deciding only this past fall to spend the second semester of my studies in Argentina instead of staying in Spain, being surprised by the number of courses offered in English (I want them in Spanish) at the institution in Spain. But the key to making it through this sometimes stressful process is to keep an open mind and be flexible. So that is what I'm doing. And I'm remembering to cherish every moment of this movement toward my dream.

Peace and Blessings,
Melanie

Spanish word of the day: preparar = to prepare :)

No comments: