As with any story, the best place to start is at the beginning. Why has this journey been a long time coming?" Where did my dream of traveling abroad come from? What (or Who, in my case) led me in this direction? When did this story really begin?
I am one of the few people who can say that the turning point in my life - the time when I discovered who I was destined to become, found my passion, and chose my future career - occurred during high school. I had always liked Spanish, from the exposure to it I had during grade school in an after-school program, to my Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 classes in high school. In fact, by the end of my freshman year, I had the goal of eventually becoming fluent in Spanish, but just for fun. I never dreamed that Spanish would become a part of my everyday life even before this goal was achieved.
I did not meet the teacher who changed my life until my sophomore year of high school when I was placed in her Spanish 2 class. I always liked Miss Paula, and I thought she made learning fun. But that was all...until the September afternoon of my junior year when I sat across the desk from her after school, asking for her assistance. That's when this story really begins....but it might be necessary to rewind a bit for you to understand the story.
I was a junior in high school when I stepped into a classroom for my first Honors Spanish 3 class. I would soon discover that this class would be no picnic, as I found myself unable to learn the way my teacher taught. I traipsed up to Miss Paula's room that day after school, desperate to better my predicament. As soon as I explained my problem, she happily agreed to take me under her wing.
For the rest of the school year, Miss Paula allowed me to audit her regular Spanish 3 class, made time to chat with me after school, and taught me extra concepts, recognizing my hunger for knowledge. I spent countless hours in her classroom, and she became someone I could go to during difficult times.
Miss Paula not only ignited in me a passion for Spanish, but also demonstrated to me in a tangible way that teachers touch lives forever. She soon inspired me to follow in her footsteps, so that one day I could have the same impact on the lives of my students. By February of my junior year, I knew I wanted to teach (and teach Spanish, of course!), but kept this quiet. This was where the dream began, as I intuitively recognized that in order to bring the Spanish language and culture to life for my future students, I must spend time in a Spanish-speaking country.
Around this time, I had one special conversation with Miss Paula which sticks in my memory. Chatting alone with her in her classroom one winter morning, I casually questioned her, "Why did you become a Spanish teacher, Miss Paula?" I will never forget her reply, "Because I love Spanish and my high school Spanish teacher was my role model in life." I could not help but smile at her response. "If only you knew," I silently meditated, wanting desperately to spill the beans, "that someday I'll be in your place, giving the same answer to a similar question." But I remained silent, knowing the time was not right to thank Miss Paula for all she had done.
For those of you who are wondering, yes, I did eventually tell Miss Paula how much she inspired me. She has since moved out of the country, but we still e-mail frequently, and have become close friends.
And they all lived happily ever after...the end! Well, not really. It would be more correct to say...the beginning! The beginning of a wonderful journey.
Peace and Blessings,
Melanie
Spanish word of the day: maestra = teacher :)
No comments:
Post a Comment